Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Beach Shorts....

I'm currently living in Paia, on Maui getting some inspiration for my designs.  You have to understand the fashions here are very different from what I'm used to back home.  The 20 degree difference and higher humidity levels adds to this change.  People feel free to just wear much of nothing and not hem anything!  Which is fine but where I come from clothes are lined, hemmed and buttoned up tight...cause it's cold!  I'm trying to adjust and find my own style here on this beautiful island, it truly is paradise.  So I decided to make some shorts...Paia beach inspired shorts.  Of course I had to make them from old curtains or it wouldn't be me!  I found some beautiful old curtains from the second hand store in Kahului.  They are this popish blue.  Reminds me of blue cotton candy, perfect for the beach.  So I went home with my old curtains, drew up a shorts pattern and they turned out great!  Best part of all is that they are airy...so you can breathe and stay cool in this hot weather.  I put a sweet white cord rope drawstring--a nod to nautical--in my shorts and I was out the door!
As I took my new shorts for a stroll I got so many compliments on them!  People loved them, which was great because I do too!  I told people to look out for them on the site.

2 comments:

  1. I adore these shorts!! They are so chic with the natural edge of the lace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! That detail was priceless, I didn't want to lose it! They were fun to make, I found some old curtains in white as well...check back for those pics too!!

    ReplyDelete